If you're a European Union citizen, European Economic Area citizen, or Swiss citizen living in the UK, you must apply for settled or pre-settled status using the Government's EU Settlement Scheme. Information on who should apply for pre-settled or settled status can be found on the gov.uk website.

You can check your personal situation by using gov.uk's online tool

The EU Settlement Scheme allows you and your family members to get the immigration status you need to continue to live, work and study in the UK beyond 30 June 2021. This status means you can continue to be eligible for:

  • public services, such as healthcare and schools
  • public funds and pensions
  • British citizenship, if you meet the requirements and want to apply

Even if you have lived in the UK for many years or you have a UK permanent residence document you still need to apply to the EU Settlement Scheme.

You can get support applying to the EU Settlement Scheme if you’re a vulnerable citizen, for example, if you:

  • are elderly
  • are isolated
  • are disabled
  • are a child in care
  • have significant language or literacy problems
  • have mental health issues
  • do not have a permanent address
  • are the victim of domestic abuse
  • are the victim of human trafficking

If you need advice see getting advice on the EU Settlement Scheme.